Fathers, Mothers and Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm so thankful for my parents. I realized that yesterday. For my dad, for his commitment to truth and his wisdom. And for my mom, who like no one else can just sit by me and listen as I try to explain myself through sobs, and then encourages me to keep perspective.

And for the writings of Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. I've read snippets of his exegetical work in his book on the first chapter of Ephesians, as well as The Sermon on the Mount. Yesterday I borrowed my father's copy of "Spiritual Depression" and am looking forward to equipping myself to fight against the spiritual, emotional, mental and physical slog that has become each day!

In regards to overcoming spiritual depression Lloyd-Jones looks to the Biblical precedent to preach to ourselves. He writes,

"I say that we must talk to ourselves instead of allowing 'ourselves' to talk to us!...Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself? Take those thoughts that come to you the moment you wake up in the morning. You have not originated them, but they start talking to you, they bring back the problems of yesterday, etc. Somebody is talking. Who is talking to you? Your self is talking to you. Now this man's [the Psalmist of Psalm 42) was this; instead of allowing this self to talk to him, he starts talking to himself. "Why art thou cast down, O my soul?" he asks. His soul has been depressing him, crushing him. So he stands up and says: "Self, listen for a moment, I will speak to you." (Lloyd-Jones 20-21)

Lloyd-Jones, Martyn. "Spiritual Depression." Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans Printing Company, 1965.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP